Valentine's Day is such a weird holiday in my opinion. Some people love it, some people hate it, and most people live somewhere in land of Valentine's Day love/hate all at the same time. Valentine's Day can be hard for people who don't have the perfect, fairy-tale relationship..... but let me tell you a little secrete, no one actually has that kind of relationship. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love every Nicholas Sparks movie ever made, and my first dance song was none other than a sappy Ed Sheeran love song, so I dream with the best of them, but those relationships created for us in the media just aren't realistic. Everyone has problems, everyone has hurt.
Im not gonna lie to you, my relationship with my boo thang is about as close to a sappy romcom as it probably will ever be, but that really doesn't make V-Day any easier for us this year. This year has been tough for us, and although we are personally doing really well relationally, all the relationships of people I love so dearly are crashing and burning all around us and it breaks my heart. Loneliness is running deep in our circle lately and we are hurting for those that we love. Valentine's Day CAN be hard. But it doesn't have to be.
I am a social worker so I feel like I need to preface what is coming by reminding you that life really is hard, and your feelings are totally valid, but you don't have to sit in your hard and throw yourself a pity party forever. You can choose to rise above and to step outside of yourself and your hard situation to make someone else's situation a little less hard. I have been absolutely inspired by some fun things a few people I know are doing for Valentine's Day, so I thought I would share some ideas with you.
Instead of focusing on what you don't have this V-Day, maybe try shifting your focus to giving of yourself in ways that you do have.
- Send some flowers to a single woman with a sweet encouraging note
- If you live in Austin, order from Undivided Flower Co. They are owned and operated by a girl from my home church who uses her floral business to help her stay in ministry. $50 for a bouquet or $65 for an arrangement-- that includes your flowers and your delivery cost. Doesn't get much better than that. If you don't live in Austin but you still want to brighten someones day, still order from UnDivided Flower Co and add delivery address 4330 bull creek rd, austin 78731 at checkout. They will deliver a beautiful bouquet to a local, single woman in need of some love.
- Make valentines for all your friends!
- I know a sweet girl going through a rough divorce who just decided she wasn't going to mope around this year and instead decided to make super cute Valentine's Day cards for all her friends. She dressed her cute dog up, got their picture taken and made some stinking cute cards to bring some joy to all her friends. I mean who doesn't love to get a Valentine??
- Good ole "Galentines"
- Deck your house out in all things girly and cute, have all your best girls over, and have a stinking blast. Instead of hating on the day of love, use it to gather all the people you love around you and reflect on the thing in your life that are absolutely lovely.
- Pamper Someone.
- Maskcara has some really cute Valentine's products out right now, and if you want to make a woman feel beautiful Maskcara is the way to do it. Get your orders in soon so they can get there in time for V-Day! If you need help, please reach out!!
- Invite someone over for a homemade meal. Splurge a little, make some chocolate covered strawberries, have some fun,
- Send a care package to someone who lives far from you. Go to target, round up some cute things from the dollar bin, throw in a valentine, wrap it all cute, and get it shipped THIS WEEK!
No matter what kind of year you are having, you can always spread the love to those around you. Push through those negative feelings about V-Day and go "UnBreak The People"